Mount Garfield Chapter

National Society Daughters of the American Revolution

Grand Junction, Colorado

 

Back to Home

 
 

DAR Historic Markers
To see photos of all of these markers, click on the link above.


Whitman Park
Located in Grand Junction’s Whitman Park just a few blocks from the Colorado River is a large granite rock bearing the bronze tablet. The marker was placed July 4, 1917 by the Mount Garfield Chapter DAR and the Grand Junction Chapter SAR. The inscription reads, “Whitman Park in honor of Marcus Whitman, Patriot-Missionary who swam the Grand (now Colorado) River near this point on his heroic trans-continental ride, mid-winter 1842-43, which saved the great Northwest to the United States.”

Flag Pole Memorial to World War I Soldiers in Mesa County
Located in Grand Junction’s Lincoln Park, this 60 foot high flag pole was dedicated by the Mount Garfield Chapter June 21, 1928.  The inscription reads, “Lest We Forget, in honor of eight hundred Mesa County men who gave their loyal service in the World War, 1914-18, and in memory of those among them who gave the most that man can give, life itself. This tribute is placed in loving appreciation by the Daughters of the American Revolution, Mount Garfield Chapter 1928.”

Grand Junction Town Company
A bronze plaque, on what is now the Avalon Theater in the 600 block of Main St, marks the site where the original Grand Junction Town Company stood. The inscription: “On this site formerly stood the adobe building which was the original home of the Grand Junction Town Company. Through its organizer and president, Governor George A. Crawford, this company filed on land left vacant by the removal of the Ute Reservation to Utah, September 1881, and thus founded the city of Grand Junction. This tablet was erected by Mount Garfield Chapter DAR, A.D. 1924.”

Grand Junction News
A marker on a building in the 400 block of Main St in Grand Junction commemorates the location of the first newspaper published in the town.  The inscription: “Upon this site in October 1882 a vital cultural influence in the town of Grand Junction was established by the printing of the first newspaper – The Grand Junction News, Edwin Price, Editor. This tablet placed by Mount Garfield Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1957."

Park Opera House
The DAR marker for the Park Opera House is located just inside the South entrance to the Museum of the West, 5th & Ute, in Grand Junction, Colorado.  The inscription: “Upon this site in 1891 was built the Park Opera House & modern theater, which was for many years the center of the cultural and social life of Grand Junction.  This mark placed by Mount Garfield Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1957."

The Meeker Tree
Though not accessible at the present time, the Mount Garfield Chapter DAR placed a marker at the site where the captives taken after the “Meeker Massacre” were released. The marker is located about a mile from Mesa, CO.

Spirit of Pioneer Women
Through the Historical Marker Coalition, the Mount Garfield Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution raised the funds, commissioned the work and erected a bronze eight-foot statue to recognize the contributions of pioneer women. The figure honors the strength, character, and contributions of the many women who helped settle Mesa County and build our community.
In 1999, world renowned sculptor Lincoln Fox created the statue which stands in Grand Junction’s Eagle Rim Park on Orchard Mesa, overlooking the Colorado River, the North Branch of the Old Spanish Trail, the Riverfront Trail system and much of the Grand Valley.

Click here to see photos of all of these markers.