1. Whitman Park Marker
Located in Grand Junction’s Whitman Park, just a few blocks from the Colorado River, is a large granite rock bearing a bronze tablet. The marker was placed July 4, 1917, by the Mount Garfield Chapter, NSDAR, and the Grand Junction Chapter, SAR. The inscription reads, “Whitman Park in honor of Marcus Whitman, Patriot-Missionary who swam the Grand (now Colorado) River near this point on his heroic trans-continental ride, mid-winter 1842-43, which saved the great Northwest to the United States.”
2. Grand Junction Town Company
A bronze plaque on what is now the Avalon Theater in the 600 block of Main Street marks the site where the original Grand Junction Town Company stood. The inscription: “On this site formerly stood the adobe building which was the original home of the Grand Junction Town Company. Through its organizer and president, Governor George A. Crawford, this company filed on land left vacant by the removal of the Ute Reservation to Utah, September 1881, and thus founded the city of Grand Junction. This tablet was erected by Mount Garfield Chapter DAR, 1924.”
3. Flagpole Memorial to World War I Soldiers
|Located in Grand Junction’s Lincoln Park (Mesa County), this 60-foot-high flag pole was dedicated by the Mount Garfield Chapter, NSDAR, on June 21, 1928. The inscription reads, “Lest We Forget, in honor of eight hundred Mesa County men who gave their loyal service in the World War, 1914-18, and in memory of those among them who gave the most that man can give, life itself. This tribute is placed in loving appreciation by the Daughters of the American Revolution, Mount Garfield Chapter 1928.”|
4. Park Opera House
The DAR marker for the Park Opera House is located just inside the south entrance to the Museum of the West, 5th and Ute, in Grand Junction, Colorado. The inscription: “Upon this site in 1891 was built the Park Opera House & modern theater, which was for many years the center of the cultural and social life of Grand Junction. This marker placed by Mount Garfield Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1957.” The Park Opera House was opened on June 25, 1892, and was considered one of the most elegant auditoriums in the western area. Completed, it had a stage of 28 feet x 58 feet, steam heat, electric lighting, and a seating capacity of 1,400 with two balconies.
5. Grand Junction News
A marker on a building in the 400 block of Main Street in Grand Junction commemorates the location of the first newspaper published in the town. The inscription: “Upon this site in October 1882 a vital cultural influence in the town of Grand Junction was established by the printing of the first newspaper – The Grand Junction News, Edwin Price, editor. This tablet placed by Mount Garfield Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1957.” Edwin Price was the editor of the Grand Junction News. His wife Lola was the second regent of the Mount Garfield Chapter, NSDAR.
6. Spirit of Pioneer Women
Through the Historical Marker Coalition, the Mount Garfield Chapter, NSDAR, raised the funds, commissioned the work, and erected a bronze eight-foot statue to recognize the contributions of pioneer women. The figure honors the strength, character, and contributions of the many women who helped settle Mesa County and build our community. In 1999, world-renowned sculptor Lincoln Fox created the statue which stands in Grand Junction’s Eagle Rim Park on Orchard Mesa, overlooking the Colorado River, the North Branch of the Old Spanish Trail, the Riverfront Trail system, and much of the Grand Valley.
7. Old Spanish Trail Marker
The marker was dedicated in fall 2000. Sponsors were: Colorado Riverfront Foundation, Mesa County Government, Mesa County Historical Society, Museum of Western Colorado, Mount Garfield Chapter, NSDAR, Old Spanish Trail Association, Parkerson Construction, Inc., and Snyder Memorials.
8. Western Slope Vietnam War Memorial Park
|This paver is located in Fruita, Colorado.|
9. Grand Junction Veterans Health Care System Monument Park and Garden
|Grand Junction VA Medical Center Monument Park and Garden – Dedicated 2006|
10. Mount Garfield Chapter Centennial Bench
|A bench bearing a DAR marker was dedicated February 27, 2010. The bench is located at Two Rivers Convention Center. This bench commemorates the 100 continuous years Grand Junction has had an active DAR chapter – the Mount Garfield Chapter, NSDAR. The La Court Hotel was located at this site in 1910 and is where the chapter’s organizational meeting was held. The plaque reads:
“MOUNT GARFIELD CHAPTER CENTENNIAL
11. Vietnam Veterans Marker
1959 – 1975
“In honor of all Colorado veterans who served and their families who sacrificed.
In memory of those who did not return.”
Dedicated by the Mount Garfield Chapter, NSDAR
May 25, 2015
12. Las Colonias Arboretum DAR Benches
|Las Colonias is a new city park in Grand Junction. We support the park’s arboretum and pollen garden. In addition to weeding and clean-up days, the chapter has donated four benches, and members are purchasing native trees to be planted in memory or honor of specific individuals.|
13. Orchard Mesa Cemetery